Sunday, October 25, 2020
Home Images Hammersmith Police Station.

Hammersmith Police Station.

-

Image of one of two traditional police blue lamps that have recently been installed outside Hammersmith Police Station. The station closed in late 2016 to undergo a huge £59 million expansion, which will include horse stables, new custody cells, modern offices for its criminal investigation department, and underground parking. Much of the expansion has been built behind the original 1930s Grade II-listed police station. A 24/7 front counter at Shepherd’s Bush police station, opened as a temporary measure whilst Hammersmith Police Station remained under construction, has recently announced it will close.

Blue lamps are synonymous with police stations after they appeared around the mid-nineteenth century. Probably the most famous of all British police films was called The Blue Lamp, an Ealing Studios production from 1950 about a London police station. The film became the inspiration for the 1955–1976 TV series Dixon of Dock Green, where the central character would give monologues from under a blue lamp.

Hammersmith Police Station.

Further information.


Image information.


Previous articlePizza Express Kensington.
Next articlePret, 421 Strand.

Leave a Reply

Must Read

Lack of Advertising.

One noticeable hit to business during the coronavirus pandemic has been to the advertising industry. Whilst the electronic billboards have been busy...

Hospitality industry protest.

Hospitality workers protest in Parliament Square against the UK’s coronavirus restrictions, which they say will devastate their industry.

George and Devonshire Chiswick.

Standing proud against the ugliness and incessant noise of the Chiswick roundabout is the pretty public house of the George and Devonshire....

Joe Allen restaurant.

The boarded-up front of the Joe Allen restaurant in London's theatreland. The venue, popular amongst actors, was forced to shut its doors...

Admiralty Citadel.

The Citadel was constructed between 1940 and 1941 as a bomb-proof operations centre for the Admiralty at a...